Monday, November 19, 2012

The Demon Lover

The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


First off, I'd like to thank Random House Publishing Group and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this novel! Starting at the beginning, what first attracted me to this Title was the cover. It really is a stunning visual with it's shades of blue, but what really got me in particular was the flock of birds. Oh, I love to see distant flocks of birds because there is something so sinister about them. I mean, they make me ask questions like did something startle them out of the trees, or do they know something that I don't, or are they going to swoop down at any moment and pluck my eyes out. Birds are just freaky. Lets move on to the nitty gritty, shall we?
This is the story of Callie or phonetically Kay-lex. Raised by a distant and somewhat cold grandmother after the death of her parents at a young age, Callie submerges herself in a land of magic and mystery, not really believing in it, just fascinated by the mysteries that gothic literature has to offer. Callie writes a book on the subject matter and afterward finds herself lacking the inspiration for a second novel. She accepts a job offer at a remote college based mostly on her renewed interest that seems to have been inspired by an old Victorian house and a dream fairy prince that has visited her. During her first weeks at the school she comes to find out that her dreams and her interests may be more real than she ever imagined, and she unlocks a world that not only fuels her creative mind, but it seems to include her in it's many mysteries. Callie comes to the realization that she has a demon lover, and has to come to terms with what she must do. Does she cling to him and let herself be consumed or will she banish him to an eternity in hell, and herself to internal torment.
Sheesh, am I running on and on or what? The story is about a lot of different things, there is a lot going on in this novel, but not too much. I really enjoyed this read! It's getting three and a half stars from me because it was a slow starter and also seemed to go on and on at times and I just skimmed some paragraphs away. That sounds bad, but once you are into it, it really gets you! Also on the positive side, it was really well written with almost no mistakes which is awesome these days! I definitely recommend The Demon Lover to all those interested in paranormal literature. This is not an erotica; it's more like a tragic love story.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment