Friday, November 23, 2012

Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls, #1)Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


*coughs* People with an ancestry that is on or near the equator have higher amounts of melanin in the skin. The farther your ancestry strays from the equator the lighter the skin tone. Why is this? Yes, melanin helps block harmful U.V. rays, but more importantly it also protects against the absorption of too much Vitamin D. This explains why proximity to the equator (Ancestrally, of course! Evolution does take time) determines skin color. That being said, I hate racism. The whole issue just pisses me off, especially coming from Americans be they dark or light skinned. Just to clarify, I am an American. This is the melting pot people! I'm not sure if there is such a thing as white or black anymore. Our ancestries have mixed and blended so much that there really is no clear answer any more here. I mean at what amount of color in the skin do we decide what someones race is? Scientifically, I think race is just an outdated theory. If you take a sample of DNA from a random and diverse group of people and do comparisons, there are absolutely no markers to identify race. The strands of a white man and a black woman may even be more alike than the strands of two white men. If you are wondering, I did have a long and heated discussion about this topic with several of my college professors when I was in school (I was a non believer because for something so visually clear as race, how can there not be genetic and scientific proof?!) After being presented with all the evidence and a lot of denial, I finally converted and I can say without a doubt that race is just an idea based on individual human perception and has absolutely no validity. None of this is to say that there are not cultural differences between any groups of people, just not scientifically specified groups.
*phew* Thank you to NetGalley and Sand Dollar Press Inc. for providing me a copy of Revealing Eden for an honest (hey you asked for it) review. I've only ever given a single one star review before, and if I were to compare that book with this one, well lets say that it would be five stars because this book was absolutely the most horrible book that I have ever sat down to read. Eden has to be the dumbest heroine that I have ever come across. Even if I don't mention how horribly racist this book is, it is still utterly irredeemable.
Eden is a Pearl. Pretty name right? It brings to mind something beautiful and fragile. NO! NO! NO! Pearl is meant to be a derogatory term referring to white people, who in this book are oppressed and reviled; as opposed to Coals (I cannot make this shit up. Yes Foyt actually goes there and uses the racial slur coal), who are dark skinned and considered beautiful. To say Eden harbors some resentment is an understatement. Through a series of events, Eden and her father are outcast to a remote native village somewhere off the grid with a powerful Coal that has been transformed into a beast by a delightful cocktail of animal DNA from several different species, mainly the jaguar, cooked up by Edens father, a scientist.
What a mouthful! Did I mention that the world is now superheated or some such crap and that is why white people suck? Well it is. Anyway, the Coals in this book are portrayed as abusive assholes which makes you wonder how Foyt can claim to not be a racist herself. Hmmm. This book is just insulting in so many ways. I keep getting off track here. *deep breath*
Anyway, now that beast man is all beastly Eden develops a little crush on him. Can you say EWWWW! I thought that my only problem with this book (other than the poor writing and lack of any research of importance) was going to be the race stuff, but no, there has to be bestiality too! Gross! I'm just going to stop right here with this because I'm simply to nauseated to continue wasting my time on this awful book. I recommend this book for anyone who likes to be insulted and then promptly punched in the face...repeatedly.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment